STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, March 23, 2009

CQ stocking..slow progress

Here finally are a few pics of the stocking I'm working on. Now please remember, this is a work in progress... I am only at the embroidery stage, although I have added beads to one row.... just couldn't wait.... I tend to sometimes add and change things as I go along.. so what you see now, might look a little different in the end. In fact I have been known to totally remove something and replace it with a different seam treatment if I'm not happy with it after I "live with it" for a while....
This first photo shows a small piece of tatting that I have cut from a doily my Mother made years ago.. I have "anchored" it in place with some featherstitch (my favorite stitch) done in a variegated thread- Wildflowers by Caron. I decided this white patch was just a little too white, so this tones it down a bit... I'll decide later whether to add some beading.

I am pleased with this row- I couldn't wait to use these sweet little flower beads. The variegated greens are a Sassa Lynn Perle 5 and a Silk Buttonhole Twist by Judith Baker Montano, dyed by Treenway Silks. I love stitching with silk buttonhole twist - it is my favorite thread, for sure. There will be a narow green trim along the base of this row, just haven't got it on there yet.... Below this row, you can see a layered row of cretan stitch, the "bottom" row done in a pale peach Perle Cotton 5, and on top a fuschia silk buttonhole twist. I'm not sure if the French knots will stay or be replaced by beads or small pearls.
This photo shows a length of tatting, again done by my mother, years ago. I think I will end up lacing some silk ribbon through those "circles" on the right, or perhaps adding beads somehow, or maybe both!. To the left is a row of "Up and Down Buttonhole", done in a variegated Stef Francis heavier cotton thread. In each stitch I have added a detached chain stitch, in a rose silk buttonhole twist. Further to the left, a layered row of Herringbone, the "bottom" row in pink Perle Cotton 5, tied with Silk buttonhole twist, the "top" row in a tan Pearl Crown Rayon thread. I will definitely be adding beads to this row later, probably either bugles or daggers...

Here's a seam that will hopefully look very different the next time you see it.. it's far from finished. I'm not too happy with it right now, but I'm hoping I can improve it considerably. I wanted some curved lines on this seam, and instead of sketching it out, I just jumped in and started... NOT a good idea. The "flowers" are ruched silk ribbon - color is "Faded Rose" by Judith B Montano. The flowers look darker here than they really are. Not sure where I'm going with this - it's not finished as you can see at the top - I'll add more green leaves and see how it looks then... or who knows, it may all come out... Suggestions?
Piece,
Linda
"Music washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life" - Berthold Auerbach

2 comments:

GailM. said...

I love the sweet little flower row. And I really love the rouching flowers. I did stitching too without some planning and it's hard. I too prefer to have a clearer idea of where I'm going with the lines of stitching. I can't wait to see it in person.

Linda G said...

I love the rouched flowers too. The angle reminds me of fuschias. It will look much more finished with leaves. Without them I find the stem being so straight and the sides really curved is distracting. I shouldn't comment though because it is all so beautiful. I have said it before but if I keep seeing more of Gail and your work I may have to revive my hand work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...